It's been about 24 hours since my encounter with the fanatic on the airplane, and her words are still bumping around in my head: "Why are you breastfeeding this baby?"
And, finally, I have thought of a dozen answers far snappier than the honest, straightforward one I gave her.
1. Because he is hungry.
2. Because he finds it comforting.
3. Because I want to.
4. Because he is my baby.
5. Because I am his parent.
6. Because he wants me to.
7. Because my body makes a small but precious amount of the best food
in the world for him, including antibodies that will protect him from
YOUR nasty germs.
8. Because he is in a strange place.
9. Because he is scared.
10. Because his ears are hurting him.
11. Because it is good for his jaw development.
12. Because I love him.
I'll guess I'll save these up for next time around.